Wednesday, December 8, 2010

so long, farewell

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that Nokomis Clothing will be closing its doors at the end of January 2011. After eight years of having the privilege of providing Edmontonians with Canadian designed and produced clothing and accessories, it is time to close the chapter. Economics are, of course, the reason for our departure.


I want to thank each and every customer we have ever had. Your loyalty, support and to be frank, purchases, has made the world of difference in my life. I have had the ability to live my dream: to be an entrepreneur, just like my own grandfathers. Thank you for this opportunity. I am blessed to have worked with so many amazing designers: you have inspired our entire community. And thank you to all the noko girls: you’ll always be my family.


Meanwhile, you know how much I LOVE sales! We’re going to be having a doozy of one. Currently, select merchandise is 30-50% off at the shop, and more deals will be found starting Boxing Day. Stay tuned.


xox,


Jessica Kennedy




FAQ’s


1. Where am I going to shop now?

There is an array of local boutiques you can support; as well many of our talented designers have online stores. Refer to our website for links.


2. Why are you closing?

That is a complex question and the simplest answer is: economics.


3. What are you going to do with all the grannies?

I am asking that everyone who has a granny up on the wall come into the shop to claim her back. That way you can take a piece of Nokomis home with you. The rest will be coming home with me!


4. Will holiday gifts still be exchangeable?

Absolutely! All gifts, purchased before December 25th, are available to be exchanged until January 9th. Please ask for a gift receipt when purchasing gifts.


5. Will I still be able to redeem Gift Certificates and Store Credit?

Absolutely!


6. Will I still be able to purchase Gift Certificates?

Absolutely! Though, each purchaser will be made aware of the situation, that we will be closing as of the end of January, and that the gift certificate is to be redeemed before then.


7. What are you and the staff going to do?

Besides load up on pretty things before the shop closes, we are all going to find new paths of employment, though noko will be dear in our hearts.


8. Is your beautiful green couch for sale?

It sure will be, along with our mirrors, gold racks, tables, displays, desks and so much more!


9. Will you ever open up Nokomis again?

I have been with Nokomis for all 8 years, 5 as the manager and 3 as the owner. It has been such a journey for me; I’ve loved every step of it. But I am ready to move on. So, no. But if you’ve ever dreamed of opening up your own shop, here’s the chance!


10. I’m really going to miss Nokomis, what can I do?

We are really going to miss you, too. Meanwhile, pop by the store, give us a hug, and buy yourself some pretty treasures. We still need your support.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sad about this, it breaks my heart. Your support has meant so much to Canadian designers. Nokomis will be very missed. I loved dealing you!
Thanks for you support for the past eight years. I look forward to hearing about what you get up to next!!
xoxo
Allison Wonderland

jordan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, even though it sounds like it's the right thing at the right time for you, Jessica. There are a few things about Edmonton that I remember fondly, and Nokomis is definitely one of them. You and everyone else have done an amazing job these past eight years, and I know you'll do just as many amazing things for the next eight... or eighteen, or eighty!

I'm wishing you the best (and that maybe you'll come down to SF and visit)!

xo

-Jordan

Leah Jane said...

Oh Jess... this makes me so sad. but i know that you would have thought about this hard and you would only be making the right choice. I remember discovering Noko way back when with you... and could never have imagined how far you took it! I totes agree with Jordan (who i don't know..) but Nokomis holds a special place in my heart and its one of the best memories i have of Edmo (aside from you of course!)

xoxo
leah

Sara said...

Aw, how sad!! I'll definitely come in over the holidays to say hi to you Jessica and goodbye to Nokomis. <3

Anonymous said...

My heart is heavy as I read this...Nokomis has been such a groundbreaking store in our city, and such a support to independent designers. You will be sorely missed. Thank you for all you have done! God bless to all of you in your future adventures!

Victoire said...

Forever and ever you will be our mentor. All our love and support!

We are so excited to see what you do next, and we will pray it will be to come visit us!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Jessie!! I'm tearing up... I have nothing but amazing memories from noko and so many, if not all of them, involve you! I'm so happy to be a part of the store's history- you certainly created a very special place to work... and sometimes not work.. :)
I love you and I know that whatever you get involved with next will be equally as unique and amazing.Cheers to you!
xxxoo
Jenny
(We gotta hang when I'm back in town over the holidays)xo

Anonymous said...

I am tearing up! This is so sad... Nokomis is the most beautiful store. It's like no other store in Edmonton, or anywhere else that I've been. Where will I go to find beautiful dresses! Oh, how I wish I had spent more money!!

JT said...

Well but unfortunately said, Jess. A sad day for Edmo, no doubt. Noko will be missed.

Fiona said...

It's bittersweet news, Jessica! So sad, but I know you will have bigger and more exciting plans in the making.

I hope people will start supporting more local businesses if they don't want Edmonton to become a city where all businesses and services are owned by some large corporation from Toronto or the US.

Am going to miss this beautiful and wonderful little shop! And will definitely stop by during Boxing day!

Love and love, Fiona

Bicycles, Friends & Family said...

Edmonton will really miss Nokomis. Your house line was my favourite!
All the best in your future, Jessica! How will we hear about your next exciting adventures?

Judy

Anonymous said...

So very sad. I have lived in many cities and always look forward to coming home to Edmonton because I can always count on falling in love with everything in Nokomis. You will be sorely missed :(

BuenoStyle said...

Bummed to hear about Nokomis closing! Sad face. But life happens, and hopefully you'll go on to exciting new challenges in your life Jess!